1.0 Club Details
The name of the association shall be Westport Triathlon Club, herein after referred to as WTC or the Club.
WTC will be registered with Triathlon Ireland, the governing body of triathlon in Ireland.
3.0 Contact Address
The address, for correspondence of WTC shall be email@example.com or that of the standing Chairperson or Secretary.
2.0 Westport Triathlon Club Objectives
- To promote, organise, develop, manage and administer the sport of Triathlon, Duathlon and Aquathlon/Aquathon in the Westport area.
- To encourage and foster all levels of triathlete within the club from novice to elite athlete.
- To encourage new members into the club and to assist those new members in the sport of Triathlon, Duathlon, Aquathlon/Aquathon and other multi-sport activities.
- To prescribe, maintain and uphold the rules and regulations, including the Triathlon Ireland Manual of Guidance, Code of Ethics and any other rules/regulations as set by Triathlon Ireland.
- To affiliate with Triathlon Ireland and any other organisations, as may be determined from time to time by the committee.
- To support Triathlon Ireland in its aims where possible.
- To be involved in the organisation of Triathlon, Duathlon and Aquathlon/Aquathon races, which must be approved by Triathlon Ireland.
- To conduct the affairs in an equitable, honourable, honest and sporting manner at all times.
- To comply with all laws and regulations that relate to the operation of a club and to the sport of triathlon.
3.0 Westport Triathlon Club Policy
- WTC fully supports Triathlon Ireland in its efforts to improve all aspects of Triathlon and its related disciplines.
- WTC is committed to safeguarding the interest, welfare and wellbeing of all those associated and directly and indirectly associated with its activities.
- The interests of the Club as a whole shall always take precedence over the interests of any one individual member(s).
- WTC supports TI and the Sports Council in a Zero tolerance attitude to the use of banned substances in sports and as such, any member following due process, ultimately found guilty of using any banned substances in contravention of TI and any relevant governing body rules will be subject to a further disciplinary hearing within the club.
The disciplinary committee can impose any sanctions it deems necessary up to and including the revocation of WTC membership for life.
All disciplinary committee findings / sanctions can be appealed to the executive committee of Westport Triathlon Club
WTC shall carry out all functions in a manner that promotes equality of opportunity between:
- Persons of different religious belief, political opinion, racial group, age, marital status or sexual orientation;
- Men and women generally;
- Persons with a disability and persons without;
- Persons with dependants and persons without.
Membership of WTC shall be open to any member of the public subject to the following conditions:
- The individual acknowledges that the activities of the club carry a risk of personal injury or even death, and agrees to exempt the club of any liability in the event of such instances occurring.
- Payment of the annual subscription fee of the club.
- Members have completed and submitted their membership applications through the Triathlon Ireland website.
- The individual agrees to respect the rights, safety and welfare of all other members and to conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of the club.
- The individual must be of age 18 or over on the date of membership.
- All members of Westport Triathlon club must wear Westport Triathlon Club branded gear when racing and collecting prizes for all TI events including aquathon, aquathlon, duathlon or triathlon. Plain gear when racing is acceptable if the member does not yet own WTC gear.
- Members must volunteer 20 hours of their time to the club in a 12-month period from the date they paid their membership fee. The 20 hours will be broken down as 10 hours volunteering with club organisational activities and 10 hours volunteering at the Westport Triathlon event or other fundraising activity as set out by the committee).
- Members cannot enter the Westport Triathlon event and must help organise and marshal the event. This is our main fundraiser and the proceeds are used to develop the club and subsidise training activities. 25% of members can enter the Westport Triathlon for free via a club lottery, see section 5.1 for details of the lottery.
- Members must abide by the club open water swim charter.
- Members must abide by the club cycle charter.
The term ‘member’ shall refer to any individual that has fully complied with the conditions set out above.
The Executive Committee has the authority to exempt individuals from payment of the annual fee under special circumstances as determined by the Executive Committee.
The Executive Committee has the authority to refuse, or to withdraw membership from any individual who has, in the opinion of the Executive Committee, shown disregard for the rights, safety or welfare of other members of the club or other triathletes; or who has behaved in a manner contrary to the spirit of the club; or who has behaved in a manner adjudged to be against the best interests or the reputation of the club; or has brought the club in to disrepute.
All club members will be required to join Triathlon Ireland as full or associate members at the same time as joining WTC.
All applications shall be considered by the committee which may, at its discretion, accept or refuse any such application (successful applicants shall hereinafter be referred to as "members").
A register of all members shall be maintained.
5.1 Westport Triathlon Event Club Lottery
The criteria for members to enter the Westport Triathlon is as follows:
- If you are a 2017 member of Westport Triathlon Club and the Westport Triathlon will be your first ever triathlon, you will be automatically offered one non-transferable 'free entry '.
- If you finish in the top 5 of a TI sanctioned National Sprint Triathlon in your age group in the current season before the Westport Triathlon, you will automatically get a 'free entry '.
- If you raise €250 towards the race expenses that is paid in advance of the event, you will automatically get a free place (Sponsorship from companies is a great place to start).
- If you would like to do the Westport Triathlon and don't fit into the three categories above, then enter your name into a lottery in which name will be picked by random to make up the 25% in total.
- If a member received a 'free entry' in the Westport Triathlon in the previous year, then they cannot get a free entry in the current year with the exception of those who raise €250 sponsorship and honorary members.
- A free entry is non-transferable to another member and cannot be deferred.
- Once your name is pulled in the lottery you are excluded from the race until all other members have competed!
5.2 Cessation of Membership
Any member shall cease to be a member of WTC:
- By tendering his/her resignation to the committee in writing, but shall remain liable to WTC for all money owing and unpaid at the date of cessation.
- Where the committee resolves it is satisfied that the member is unable to comply with the committee's or Annual General Meeting's requirements and notifies the member of that resolution.
- Where it has been found that a member has committed a serious breach of the rules as set out in this document.
- On the 31st December of each year all memberships will cease, and members will be required to re-join in the following year.
5.3 Appeal Procedures:
Except for breaches of the WTC sports drugs policy (3.d above) where the decision of the committee shall be final, there shall be a right of appeal against the decisions of the committee.
- Such appeal shall be made in writing within 28 days of the decision.
- All appeals shall be heard by a referee or tribunal, who shall be agreed between the parties concerned.
- In the event of the parties concerned not being able to agree on a referee or tribunal, within 10 days of the lodging of an appeal, such referee or tribunal shall be appointed by the WTC Chairperson or WTC Treasurer or by the WTC Secretary in that order.
- Individuals who have their membership terminated shall be barred from re-applying for membership for a period prescribed by the WTC committee.
6.0 General Meeting
The Annual General Meeting shall be held at such place and at such time as may be determined by the committee, but shall be held prior to the 31st December in any given year.
- Prior to the date, and not later than two weeks before the Annual General Meeting, every member shall be notified of the time, date and place of the meeting.
- A posting on the WTC website and a distributed private group message via WhatsApp is acceptable for any notification.
- Only WTC members shall be entitled to be heard and to vote at General Meetings or Exceptional Meetings.
6.1 Business of the Annual General Meeting
- Receipt and adoption of the Balance Sheet and Income and Expenditure accounts.
- Receipt and adoption of the Annual Report.
- Election of Officers and Management Committee.
- Appointment of an auditor (if deemed applicable).
- Consideration of resolutions of which notice has been given.
- Transaction of any general business.
Members shall give notice in writing of any business to be discussed or resolutions to be considered at the Annual General Meeting no later than one week before the date of such meeting.
A final agenda for the Annual General Meeting shall be made available to members via email and by a post on the Westport Triathlon Club website not less than one week before the AGM.
At any General Meeting of WTC, delegates present and representing either not less than 20% of the membership shall constitute a quorum.
At all General Meetings the chairperson of the committee shall be entitled to take the chair. If the committee chairperson is absent, then the Vice-Chairperson shall take the chair. Any member disobeying the ruling of the Chair may be suspended for the period of the meeting by ordinary resolution of the meeting.
The business of WTC shall be decided by a simple majority of votes cast with each member having one vote.
A resolution put to the vote shall be decided on a show of hands unless a poll is demanded, before the declaration of the result.
Any poll called for shall be carried out as the chairperson shall direct.
Except where alternative arrangements for payment have been agreed to by the committee no member shall be entitled to vote at any general meeting unless all sums presently payable by that member in respect of subscriptions, fees, and other amounts due to WTC have been paid.
7.0 Exceptional General Meeting (EGM)
An Exceptional General Meeting shall be convened, at the request of the committee or within 30 days of the receipt of written requisition from not less than 25% of members.
Such requisition shall set forth the purpose of such meeting and the EGM shall discuss this matter only.
In the event of the committee not convening such meeting within 30 days, the requisitioners shall be entitled to convene the meeting themselves.
Not later than 14 days before the date of the Exceptional General Meeting, every member shall be notified by the Secretary of the time, date, place and purpose of the meeting.
Only full WTC members shall be entitled to be heard and vote at General Meetings or Exceptional Meetings.
The following Officers of the Club shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting:
- Finance Officer
- Safety Officer
- Swim Officer
- Cycle Officer
- Run Officer
- Social Officer
- Training Officer
- Competitions Officer
- Race Director
One member of the elected Committee shall be nominated by the committee to hold the position of Vice-Chairperson and shall assume the functions of the Chairperson on a temporary basis in his or her absence.
One member of the elected Committee shall be nominated by the committee to hold the position of Vice-Secretary and shall assume the functions of the Secretary on a temporary basis in his or her absence.
The committee shall have power to fill vacancies arising during the year and to reinvent the list of required positions to be filled.
The committee shall have power to assign club members to non-executive level positions in the club as required
No committee member may serve more than three consecutive years in the same position unless agreed by a vote in which the number of members that vote constitutes a quorum at the AGM.
The committee shall consist of a maximum of eight members on the main Committee and a maximum of eight Members on the Sub/Support Committee(s) whose roles shall be decided by the Committee.
Fifty percent of committee members shall form a quorum at meetings of the committee.
The Chairperson shall have a casting vote in addition to a deliberative vote.
Any committee member who fails to attend two (2) consecutive meetings of the committee without leave of absence shall forfeit their seat on the committee, if enforced by the Committee.
9.1 Professional Activities
Any club member(s) who derives an income, benefit or advantage from professional activities, positions or interests associated with the sports of triathlon, duathlon, aquathlon/aquathon, other multisport events, or their ancillary activities shall be deemed ineligible for any position on the WTC Committee unless a declaration of those activities are made to the members at the AGM and a quorum of members agree to the professional activities being administered. An independent quote for the professional activities will requisitioned by the committee for transparency purposes. This provision will not apply to members of the Triathlon Ireland High Performance Squad or Sports Council Carded Athletes; or to coaches appointed by the committee to assist in club activities.
A meeting of the committee shall be held either:
- Physical Meeting: by a number of the committee members who constitute a quorum being assembled together at the place, date and time appointed for the meeting by the Chairperson.
- By other means as prescribed by the Chairperson such as email, or by telephone or audio-visual conference call.
10.0 Functions and Powers of the Committee
The committee shall be responsible for carrying out the aims and objectives of WTC, and shall have the following functions and powers in addition to those provided for elsewhere in these rules:
- To formulate, adopt and monitor a multi-annual strategic plan.
- To adopt and monitor an annual plan and financial budget.
- To enter into an employment contract on such terms and conditions as the committee shall think fit and to adopt clearly defined delegations of authority from the committee.
- To appoint any sub-committees and to delegate such powers and responsibilities as the committee deems appropriate to such sub-committees.
- To impose any penalty upon any Member(s), who are found guilty of breaching any of the rules, by-laws, regulations of WTC or of refusing to give effect to any resolution passed by any General meeting or by the committee, or by actions that bring the club into disrepute, as per the current WTC disciplinary guidelines.
To determine the process to apply in respect of the appointment of:
- Selectors Managers, Coaches and Captains of Teams or Other positions as required.
- To determine the fees payable by members each year.
- To enter into contracts of insurance, sponsorship and other types of contracts as deemed appropriate to carry out the objectives of WTC.
- Such other powers as may be necessary or desirable to further the objectives of WTC.
11.0 Club Activities
All club activities, races and events organised by WTC shall be for the benefit of the club, with all monies, once expenses and overheads have been accounted for, being paid back to the club bank account and held for the benefit of WTC and its members
This does not preclude the WTC committee from employing an outside individual or company to organise or run WTC activities, races or events on a professional basis, except in the case where such a person(s) is a committee member with the exception, see 9.1 Professional Activities.
In such cases, WTC shall contract for a professional fee with the person(s) in question.
The WTC Finance Officer shall have oversight of all finances associated with any activities, events, or races run by an outside individual or company on behalf of WTC.
12.0 Finance and Annual Report
The financial year of WTC shall close on the last day of November in each year.
All monies received shall be paid to the credit of WTC at a bank as determined by the committee.
A report of the year's activities together with the audited Balance Sheet and Income and Expenditure Account shall be prepared by the committee for presentation at the Annual General Meeting.
13.0 Alteration of the Rules
These rules may be amended, repealed, or replaced by a resolution passed by a majority of not less than 60 percent of the votes cast at a General Meeting. Notice of the proposed alteration shall be given to the committee at least 28 days prior to the date of the General Meeting at which it is intended to propose the alteration. Notice shall be given of the proposed resolution in accordance with rules for General Meetings.
Every committee member of WTC who does any act in pursuance or intended pursuance of any provision of these rules or any rules or regulations made thereunder in general meeting or of the committee shall be indemnified by WTC against all losses and expenses incurred by them in connection with the discharge of their duties, unless the act was done in bad faith, without reasonable care or without prior agreement of the committee.
15.0 Payments to Members
No member or person associated with WTC shall derive any income, benefit or advantage from WTC where they can materially influence, by club membership or committee position, the payment of the income, benefit or advantage.
16.0 Winding Up
WTC may be liquidated by a resolution carried by a simple majority (half plus 1) of the votes cast at a General Meeting held in accordance with these rules.
If upon the liquidation of WTC there remains surplus funds after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities whatsoever, the same shall not be paid to or distributed among the members of WTC but shall be given or transferred to some other charitable organisation or body having purposes similar to the objectives of WTC, or for some charitable purpose, within Ireland.
In the event of any dispute over the interpretation of these rules or any question arising in connection with the administration of the club not provided for in these rules, that question shall be decided by the committee.
Any such decision shall be recorded in the minutes of the committee and shall remain in force until it is amended or revoked by the committee or by a resolution passed at a General Meeting.
Signature of Chairperson:
Signature of Secretary: